St Agnes, Cornwall
St Agnes (Cornish Breanek) is a civil parish and a large village on the north coast of Cornwall, United Kingdom. The village is situated approximately five miles (8 km) north of Redruth and ten miles (16 km) southwest of Newquay. Historically, St Agnes and the surrounding area relied on fishing, farming and mining for copper and tin. At their height about 100 mines employed 1000 miners. Mining came to an end in the 1920s and many of these mines are still on view for any tourists. St Agnes is a popular tourist destination. Much of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape ( a World Heritage Site) is in the parish. The coastal area is maintained by the National Trust and is designated part of the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). There are beaches at Trevaunance Cove and Chapel Porth and the area has many way-marked coastal and country walks. The St Agnes area has a heritage of industrial archeology and much of the landscape is of considerable geological interest. There are also stone-age remains in the parish. The manor of Tywarnhaile was one of the 17 Antiqua maneria of the Duchy of Cornwall.